Controller at 21st Century Storage in ASPEN135 W Main St, Aspen, 81611 | 07/28/2020 | Ad id: 8-0000603941-01
21st Century Storage is a growing self-storage organization that meets the diverse and evolving needs of customers in markets across the U.S. Guided by the values of service and value, we offer the finest end-to-end customer experience in the industry. As customer habits have evolved, we have kept pace by adapting to our customers' needs through property upgrades and first-class training and development of our sales and service teams.
We have been operating for 20+ years and are undergoing a large expansion, seeking an individual in anticipation of the scaling-up of the operation.
STATEMENT OF THE JOB:
Controller/ Office Administrator, Moving and Storage. 21st Century Storage is seeking an experienced Controller/ Office Admin who will report directly to the Company President. This person will oversee and manage the accounting and financial activities of the organization under the supervision and guidance of the Company President; and will spend the remainder of the time balancing minor lease/ office / payroll administration. This position has diverse and evolving job functions. This is a fantastic opportunity for a professional who thrives working closely with senior management as well as field personnel.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Controller will have the following duties and responsibilities:
1. Demonstrate exceptional knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, cost accounting and cost control principles, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
2. Manage the day-to-day operational fiscal functions across 8 sets of books (expected to grow) for Operating Companies.
3. Monitor accounting procedures, internal controls (implementing, monitoring,
enhancing, development, and compliance), and database management.
4. Monitor work flow to ensure that all accounting transactions are appropriately implemented and authorized.
5. Substantiate and review expenditures, billing and contracts.
6. Prepare general ledger reconciliations for review by Company President.
7. Provide monthly variance analysis and resolve discrepancies.
8. Lease administration relating to retail tenant contracts.
9. Develop and manage financial controls in accordance with the company's procedures.
10. Communicate financial and performance metrics to senior management.
11. Manage key areas within the human resources realm, including policy and procedure compliance and ongoing maintenance of HR practices and personnel file management.
12. Participate in the development of the company's strategic plans.
13. Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations.
14. Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations.
15. Oversee compliance to all local, state, and federal laws regarding finances, tax filings, and reporting, ensuring company complies with all additional legal and regulatory requirements.
16. Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills.
17. Demonstrate analytical ability to develop and implement improvements or recommendations.
18. Work closely with District Manager, Marketing, and Company President, while interacting with Property Management at each
location to achieve common goals and tasks.
19. Other duties as assigned, including best-practices implementation and general office administration functions.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES:
The controller candidate should have a Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience; and 10+ years of progressively responsible experience in a commercial real estate environment. Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations.
Work out of the Corporate Office in Aspen, CO.
Strong operations knowledge.
Demonstrated competency in the preparation of Audits, Balance Sheets, Cash Flow Projections, Cost Analysis, and Profit & Loss Reports.
Advanced knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting best practices, laws, standards, and state/national regulations
Work effectively in a central office, with demonstrated cultural competency working with people from a diverse number of backgrounds.
Detail-oriented, with team-player attributes and ability to meet deadlines.
Knowledge and skill in the preparation and monitoring of bank reconciliations, accounts receivable and payable, payroll functions, and monthly closings.
Experience and knowledge in the use and development of accounting software packages and data platforms. Competency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite.
Salary commensurate with experience
Health insurance coverage